It looks like Open Source will contribute to the building of Cybernetic Life Nodes.
These open source projects are leading the way:
- http://www.leafproject.org/ – vision recognition
- http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/html/compare.php – voice recognition
- http://rossum.sourceforge.net/ – protocol for sharing code with other robots
- http://www.opencog.org/wiki/The_Open_Cognition_Project - advanced machine cognition
- http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/ – robot device interface, outdoor robotic movement
- http://alchemy.cs.washington.edu/ – entity resolution, link prediction, social network modeling
- http://www.alicebot.org/about.html - linguistic
The only thing missing is a robotic body to put this stuff in.